Thursday, November 24, 2011

Getting Started

So after using my friend Scott's awesome smoker that he built.  I said "I gotta have one". 

I knew nothing about them - how they work or how to build one, but I just had to have one. 

In my mind I could justify it.  And if you know me, once I make up my mind that I want or "need" something...well stand back.

Scott agreed to be the skill guy on the build with one catch.  I had to help and learn how to do it.  Basically I'm the lackey and floor sweeper.  But, I figured this would be a great and fun project and Lord knows I don't have enough to do already (right). 

I thought it would be cool to do a blog on the creation of my smoker, showing the progress and maybe even getting some advice if we get stuck.

We are building a reverse flow smoker.  Which means the smoke from the firebox travels below and isolated from the lowest cooking grid.  When the smoke get to the other side, the smoke comes up through the opening and flows back towards the firebox end and out the chimney.  As it is making this travel some of the smoke gets deposited onto the meat to give it the smokey flavor. 


I'm not sure how long it will take, so please be patient and lets have some fun with this

No comments:

Post a Comment